Saturday, November 10, 2012

Week #13- Question #3: News Bias


I thought that one of the most interesting topics in our reading this week was the topic of “Bias in the News.” In school we are always taught to research and check our sources to make sure they are valid. We are taught that there is bias in everything that is reported and to always look at multiple sides to validate our research. The only problem is that with news, we usually just accept what we are told. I usually take the information I hear from news channels lightly but I never actually take the time to research the top stories that stand out to me. This topic has challenged me to think about the positions different news channels take and why they use those approaches. This section says that news sources will avoid airing or printing stories so that they don’t offend their sponsors. It also says that another source of bias in news reporting in gender bias. I think that this chapter has opened up my eyes to news sources and their bias and I think it will expand our awareness.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Daisy Buchanan! I think you chose an interesting topic to focus on this week. I completely agree with you that in even the most credible new channels are going to be biased, and we all need to be aware of that. There is not a prominent news station that is just giving facts without bias, because as you stated, they all have sponsors and targeted viewers that they are trying to please. It is all a business so even the news needs to appeal or certain people. This can unfortunately put some stories in the forefront while others get pushed aside. Thank you for the post!

    ReplyDelete