Sunday, November 4, 2012

Week #12- Question #3: Interesting Topic


One of the topics that stood out to me this week was, “Consumer Awareness of Marketing Strategies.” It is crazy to me that we get so wrapped up in the brand names of different products. We like to associate the names with a positive emotional response, which is exactly what the companies want. They want to make you feel positive about their product in order to make you think about it, buy it, and use it. The best marketing strategies they use are ones that get you in the store, keep you in the store, and encourage you to buy products that you wouldn’t have otherwise purchased. The idea of impulse shopping happens to a lot of consumers. When store strategically place products it feels like they are trying to trick you. But, even though we know what the stores are doing, we still fall for the tricks and buy the products we don’t need because of their sneaky planning. It feels like we are being wronged, but we know what is happening and continue to fall for it.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that it is crazy when we get wrapped up in brand names! I know I do, but when I think about it ... I really don't know why (especially if the brand name product is not as pretty as it could be). I actually thought it was interesting reading about impulse buying because I do that a lot. I think I always try to justify my spending and tell myself that the store didn't trick me, but I guess in actuality they did! I read your comment on my blog and I thought it was funny how we both got attracted by Bath and Body Works' free candle deal. I guess we are just perfect examples of people who fall for advertisements!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the idea of product placement being vital to keep you in the store to buy more product. I do know that companies do place things in certain areas in order to get you to buy more. For example, if you were to be looking for cleaning supplies like windex, of course you would find the paper towels right next to it. This is a way companies make you buy more and buy more product. I also do know that some stores pace candy and toys lower in the shelves in order to get children to pick them up and ask their parents to get it for them. Although it can be seen as wrong, it is a very smart strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is insane how many brand names we know and how easy it is to recognize a certain logo! I also agree that the way the stores place their products has something to do with our implies shopping. For instance in the grocery store. It may seem like they place everything of the same category in the same aisle, but when you go to look for just one item, you see all the other things you could buy that would make that one item very better, so you decide to just add on a few more things. It is difficult not to fall for their "tricks", but it is good to realize what's going on. But then again, what are chips without the dip?

    ReplyDelete