Saturday, September 29, 2012

Week #4- Question #1: Reasoning in Your Career


I think that the reasoning skills that I am best at are cause-and-effect reasoning, residue reasoning, and syllogistic reasoning. I have chosen nursing as my career path and I think that being able to reason is one of the most important parts of being a nurse. You have to be able to make quick decisions and thoroughly critically think before making each step. You have to use cause and effect reasoning because you have to be able to figure out what has happened to your patient, the cause, and what will be the effects the patient will endure in any situation. This is especially true in fast pace environments like the emergency room or the intensive care unit. Residue reasoning is also extremely important. As a nurse, I will have to be able to quickly remove anything that may not be logical in a situation including causes, medications, treatment, patients, drama, or anything that does not help the given situation. Again, as a nurse, this has to be a quick response that is instinctive. For syllogistic reasoning, a nurse has to be able to draw quick conclusions from premises. Everything a nurse has to do has to be a carefully thought out response that comes quickly. Reasoning as a whole has to come naturally to nurses.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your reasoning especially how it is relevant to your career choice. I feel like I speak for many people that I can relate to you post. I know mostly everyone reacts to cause-and-effect. Most if not all jobs will put you in situations to react to any sudden incident especially working in the medical field. I will too plan on being part of the medical field with lab science. This also requires to think quickly because some situations you will be put in blood banks which requires to think quick on your feet without committing errors because it can cost someone’s life.

    ReplyDelete