Sunday, September 2, 2012

A Concept Worth Blogging About: Week #1

One of the most valuable statements that I read from this weeks assignment was, "to accept communication at face value." This came from chapter two of The Essential Guide to Group Communication that is labeled "Participating in Small Group Communication." I found this chapter interesting because whole first section of the chapter is establishes the flaws in group settings and how to "avoid critical thinking traps."

Every time a professor decides that a project will be done in a group setting I flinch. I am a leader more then a follower, which usually is a downside when it comes to group projects because I naturally take charge and like to make sure everything gets done in the best way I think it can. I like to enforce communication and make sure that everyone does their job. In most cases, I end up doing more work, sometimes even another person's work. In most cases, I find myself shaking my head when it is all over. Usually, a professor will give an evaluation form in order to let the group vent about who didn't do anything. This is usually my time favorite time to unleash all of my vicious anger on those in my group who did little to no work by giving them all the lowest score possible. (I really give them a piece of my mind, except the whole thing where only the professor sees the results... well, I like to pretend that I really say all of it to their face.)

The greatest part about reading chapter two is I was able to find ways to deal with this exact issue. To accept all communication at face value would be to lift this heavy work load I associate with groups by stopping myself and thinking about what questions, comments and concerns can be displayed right from the start in order to delegate the work in a sound way to economize our time.

With the first group assignment beginning next week, I think I will be able to put this chapter into perspective and start putting this material into actions. I feel calm going into this project, and that is a whole heck of a lot better than flinching.

-Living the Dream

No comments:

Post a Comment