Saturday, October 6, 2012

Week 7-Post #2: Rhetoric Devices

 Make sure to define the rhetorical device, and give a personal example of each. With the campaigns down our throat and the debates flooding our everyday lives, it can only mean its a certain year; an election year. In this time we are constantly seeing, hearing, and speaking using rhetoric devices. A rhetorical device is the use of a term that has a negative association by a neutral or positive term. I use this rhetoric very often. The first type that I used this week is euphemism. I work in a Children's Department and I am around children all of the time. I usually have to take children to the bathroom and instead of saying, "do you have to go to the restroom?" I usually refer to the restroom as the "potty." While restroom is not a negative term, to children, using a term like "potty" is a more positive reference to using the toilet and a term that parents use along side of a positive reinforcement. The other term that I use very often is sarcasm. I get this attribute from my father. We like to joke with each other and sarcasm is usually at the root of it. My dad told me today that I needed to give him $7 after he bought me lunch. My reply was, "I can pay you back in love." In which he responded, "Yeah that will take you seven years." I said back to him, "I'm in no rush." Sarcastic comments and euphemisms are something that I don't just use on a weekly basis, but on a daily basis.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Daisy,

    I really like how you started off your post with the whole campaign and how it effects us and how we use rhetoric devices to show emotion. I also use sarcasm as well. When I get angry I use sarcasm, when im joking i use sarcasm (like you). I really feel as if sarcasm gets the point across though, especially in angry situations. (Even though it might make another person feel belittled and angry as well) Overall, just like you, I use sarcasm on a daily basis, just because it makes life a little bit more funnier.

    Thanks,

    Costa

    ReplyDelete